I've been slowly working my way through the second crit for Shadows and completed that step by the end of last week. What remained was to do the significant changes run. I've identified 2 brand new scenes I have to add, 1 scene I have to split into two, 9 scenes that require major changes, and 1 scene I just need to move from one place to another.
The new scenes are the result of having made a significant change that I didn't think through all the way. I moved a character's introduction earlier to give readers a human to cling to. That seems to have worked very well. However, I gave Martha the first scene and made no other changes. This meant it was 200 pages until she showed up again, leaving these newly introduced readers to wonder what the heck was going on with her :p. Sigh. So now, I'm splitting the first scene into two, which spreads her introduction a bit, and adding two more scenes to reveal a little of her issues and keep her in the reader's mind.
The changes are anything from adding more depth to grounding a creature that I mention but never show.
As usual, these changes will have the impact of adding more word count to a book already on the heavy side. Once I finish this phase so that all the contents are there, I'm going through backwards in the hopes of identifying places I can cut words. If I cut approximately 25 words per page, I'll get it down into the 120k range, but I doubt I'll be able manage that on a global basis. Still I'd like to see how close I can get.
And finally, I'll do a proof edit to make sure I didn't break anything new.
After that it's just doing the submission package and sending Shadows out into the world. The goal is to have the first batch out before the end of the year, but it's more important to be ready than to make an arbitrary deadline. This year has been a case of life interfering big time, so I'm trying hard to be flexible.